What is food delivery insurance?

Written by Benedict Harrison

Published on

How food delivery insurance works, what it covers you for and how to get a quote with Zego.

If you’re looking to work as a delivery driver in the UK, it’s important to make sure you have the right insurance in place. But we know that it’s not always easy to make sense of the different types of cover you need to deliver food in exchange for payment.

In this post, we’ll take a look at what fast food delivery insurance is, the cover you need to carry out food delivery work and the different options that Zego offers to food delivery drivers working across the country. We’ll also show you how you can get started with your quote for food delivery insurance today.

What insurance do I need to work as a food delivery driver?

In short, you need to have both personal insurance (Social, Domestic & Pleasure) and food delivery insurance (Hire & Reward) in place to work as a food delivery driver.

Standard Social, Domestic & Pleasure insurance will not cover your work as a food delivery driver, so you will need to have additional cover in place to make sure you are legally covered.

Hire and reward insurance is a type of coverage specifically designed for businesses in the transportation industry, such as Deliveroo, Uber Eats, and Just Eat. This insurance protects these businesses and their drivers against any financial consequences that may arise from accidents or incidents on the road.

For example, if a Deliveroo driver were to get into a car accident while delivering food, hire and reward insurance would cover any damages or injuries sustained. In addition to providing coverage for accidents, this insurance also protects businesses against other risks associated with operating in the transportation industry, such as vehicle damage and liability for lost or damaged goods.

Having hire and reward insurance is important for businesses in the transportation industry, as it helps them comply with legal requirements. In most countries, businesses that use drivers to pick up and deliver goods are required to have insurance in place, and hire and reward insurance is usually the most appropriate type of coverage for this type of activity.

This insurance not only helps businesses comply with the law, but it also offers peace of mind for both the business and its drivers. Knowing that they are protected in the event of an accident or incident can reduce the stress and anxiety that often comes with working in the transportation industry.

In conclusion, hire and reward insurance is an essential type of coverage for businesses in the transportation industry. It provides protection against financial consequences, helps businesses comply with the law, and offers peace of mind for

Do I need personal insurance if I only drive for work?

Even if you have a car or scooter which you only use for your delivery work, you still need to have a Social, Domestic & Pleasure insurance policy in place. This is a legal requirement, so you must make sure you’re covered for both your work and your personal use of your vehicle.

What level of cover does food delivery insurance provide?

Your level of cover determines how much protection you get from your policy. For example, Third Party Only policies will protect any damage you may do to another person, their property or their vehicle, but it will not cover you or your vehicle in the event of an incident where you are found at fault.

Unlike Third Party cover options, Fully Comprehensive policies will also cover the cost of damages to you and your vehicle if you are at fault for an incident.

How much cover you receive depends on the level of cover you choose when you take out your policy.

What food delivery insurance options does Zego offer?

At Zego, we offer a range of delivery insurance options, so you can get cover that suits you. We offer combined Social, Domestic & Pleasure and Hire & Reward insurance policies to scooter riders with bikes up to 500cc, so you can get all the cover you need for your work and free time.

For car delivery drivers, we offer delivery insurance policies which act as a top-up insurance in addition to your underlying Social, Domestic & Pleasure insurance.

If you work part-time, you may also wish to consider our pay-as-you-go cover options. With Zego’s pay-as-you-go cover, you only pay for your delivery insurance when you work. That makes it a great option if you’re just getting started with delivery work, or if you only work for a few hours each week.

You may be interested in: How much does delivery insurance cost?

If you have any questions, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help. Our team is available 7 days a week. Download the Zego Delivery app and get a quote – it only takes a minute.