Food Delivery Insurance. Do I Need Hourly, Monthly, or Annual Cover?

Written by Zego

Published on

Food Delivery insurance provides cover for car drivers, van drivers, and motorbike and scooter riders who deliver takeaway food in return for payment. This is also called Hire & Reward. Bookings are typically made by phone, text, or mobile app and drivers may work with individual or large chain restaurants, or for delivery apps like Uber Eats, Deliveroo and Just Eat.

Food Delivery insurance can be purchased with third party or fully comprehensive cover and by the hour, by the month, or by the year. Read on to discover why you need this insurance and what kind of policy will suit you best.

Why do I need Food Delivery insurance?

Food Delivery insurance is a legal requirement for all UK food delivery drivers. Standard motor insurance, (social, domestic, and pleasure – SD&P), does not cover this type of business activity. (Learn more here). Drivers can purchase Zego food delivery cover in addition to their existing SD&P insurance, or they may buy an All-In-One policy that provides combined SD&P and food delivery protection.

Parcel delivery is also covered with most Food Delivery policies, but the insurance does not cover the transport of passengers for payment – an activity known as private hire.

How does Food Delivery insurance work?

Food Delivery insurance comes in two basic flavours:

Third Party – or Third Party, Fire & Theft:

Third Party insurance protects other people in an accident where the delivery driver is at fault. The insurance will pay to repair or replace their vehicles and property and cover legal liabilities for any injuries they incur.

However, this type of cover does not protect the delivery driver’s vehicle or property. Should their vehicle be written-off, or need very expensive repairs, it could be catastrophic to the driver’s livelihood. Delivery drivers can add Fire & Theft protection to this cover. This will pay them in the event their vehicle is stolen, or damaged by accidental fire.

Fully Comprehensive:

This is total cover. It protects third parties and the delivery driver in the event of an accident where the delivery driver is at fault. As well as compensating other persons, it also pays to repair or replace the delivery driver’s vehicle. Fire and theft, as well as cover for a shattered windscreen, or theft of audio, communication and sat-nav equipment is usually included with this kind of policy.

No matter if you need third party or fully comprehensive cover, Zego’s Food Delivery insurance can be purchased quickly and with the added convenience that it can be instantly linked to the driver’s account with any of our integrated delivery partners - including Uber Eats, Deliveroo, and Just Eat.

Do I need hourly, monthly, or annual Food Delivery insurance?

Zego Food Delivery insurance can be purchased by the hour, by the month, or by the year. Your personal circumstances will decide which policy is best for you:

  • Pay-As-You-Go hourly insurance

Ultra-flexible cover that drivers and riders buy only when they are working. Paid for using a top-up app. Suitable for drivers who work intermittently.

  • 30 days monthly insurance

Flexible short-term cover to match driver work schedules. Suitable for drivers who work seasonally, or who also work in other types of industry.

  • Annual policies

Long-term cost-effective cover for drivers who work in the food and parcel delivery industry full-time.

How fast can I get food delivery insurance?

Very fast with Zego. From quote to policy in less than half an hour. Discover competitively-priced Food Delivery insurance that may save drivers £hundreds every year. Select third party or fully comprehensive cover with flexible hourly, 30 days, or annual policies.

Download the Zego Delivery app and get a quote – it only takes a minute.