Delivery insurance: SD&P, H&R, PL and what they’re for

Published on

As a delivery driver, you’re likely to come across a variety of terms when you’re looking for insurance. When there’s so much jargon and so many technical terms in your policy documents, it can be tricky to understand what cover you need and what cover you’re getting.

To help you understand some of the terms you’re likely to come across, we’ve put together a quick guide on some terms it’s useful to be familiar with as a delivery driver.

Social, Domestic & Pleasure (SD&P)

Social, Domestic & Pleasure is your ‘standard’ insurance. It covers you for personal, everyday driving such as going to the shops, doing the school run, driving to work, visiting a friend’s house or taking a day trip.

It’s a legal requirement to have SD&P in place if you’re driving a motor vehicle in the UK. Even if you only use your vehicle for your work, you still have to have an active SD&P policy.

Hire & Reward (H&R)

If you’re working as a delivery driver, carrying food or parcels in exchange for money, then you’ll need to have Hire & Reward insurance in place. This additional cover runs alongside your underlying SD&P policy and covers you during the time that you’re working.

Your SD&P insurance does not cover you for food delivery or courier work, which is why you need additional cover in place. Zego offers H&R policies by the hour, month or year, so you can get delivery cover that lasts for as long as you need it.

Public Liability (PL)

Public liability insurance protects individuals and businesses in case a claim is made against them for third party injury or property damage. The policy will cover compensation and legal expenses up to a specified maximum limit of indemnity.

Public liability cover may be included within your policy, but it’s always worth checking exactly what amount you’re covered up to.

What insurance do you need?

Insurance requirements can vary depending on the type of work you’re carrying out, the company you’re working with and many other factors. That means it’s always a good idea to ask companies about what insurance you need before you purchase a policy.

If you’re looking to use a car, scooter or van for food delivery or courier work, you may be able to get the insurance you need from Zego.

Scooter riders and car drivers can get an estimated quote by filling in the form below:

Get your quote today

Get a quote in minutes

By continuing you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy.

If you have any questions, please give our friendly customer service team a call on 020 3308 9800. We’re available 7 days a week and we’ll be happy to help.