Scooter riders could save more by switching to a UK licence

Written by Steve Cook

Published on

If you’re a scooter delivery rider working in the UK with an EU driver’s licence, it might be time to make a change.

We’ve found that scooter riders can pay up to 40% less* for their insurance each month, just by switching their EU licence to a UK one.

Here’s a comparison showing the typical cost difference:

EU vs UK licence monthly insurance cost comparison table

That’s a potential total saving of £79.16 a month, or £949.92 a year.

One of the main reasons for the difference in cost is the increase in risk factors. With EU licences, UK insurers can’t see any previous points or convictions, so they can’t build a picture of your driving history.

This lack of information increases the insurance risk, which increases the costs, too.

How to change your EU licence to a UK licence

Luckily, it’s fairly easy to change your licence. If you passed your test in the European Union or European Economic Area, here’s how to do it:

  • Order form D1 from the DVLA.
  • Gather any documents you need (including your EU driver's licence) and take a passport-size colour photo.
  • Send the form, the £43 fee***, the photo and any other required documents to the address shown on the form.

Your new UK licence will usually arrive within 3 weeks, but it can take a bit longer if you have any medical conditions that need to be checked.

Go to to learn more and start your application.

*This is the average cost difference between premiums paid by Zego customers in the UK holding either a UK or EU driver’s licence.

**These are the average monthly premiums paid by Zego UK customers in the last 12 months.

***Fee correct at the time of publishing.