Does Business Insurance Cover Food Delivery Work?

Written by Benedict Harrison

Published on

We take a look at what business insurance protects you against and the cover you need for food delivery work.

When you’re looking to get started with fast food delivery work, sorting out the insurance you need is an important part of the process. If you already have some form of insurance in place, you may wonder whether your existing policy protects you for working as a food delivery driver.

In this post, we’ll take a look at what business insurance is, what it protects you for and why it won’t cover your insurance for fast food delivery work.

What is business insurance and what does it cover you for?

Business insurance protects you for using your vehicle to travel between several places of work. If you regularly use your vehicle to travel between meetings, or if you use your vehicle for business related trips during the day, you’ll need to have business insurance in place.

So are you covered for food delivery work under a business insurance policy?

This will depend on the type of business insurance policy you have. If it includes hire and reward (H&R) cover for carrying food or parcels in exchange for payment, then you should be fine to work as a delivery driver. But many business insurance policies (including class 3 business insurance) don't include H&R cover, so you'll only be insured for commercial driving or using your vehicle for business use.

So, before you start making any deliveries, always check to make sure that your insurance covers you for hire and reward work.

What cover do you need for food delivery work?

To work as a food delivery driver, you need to have both Social, Domestic & Pleasure (SD&P) and Hire & Reward (H&R) insurance in place. Your SD&P covers your personal use of your vehicle and H&R is the specific type of cover that protects you for carrying food or parcels in exchange for payment.

What food delivery insurance options are available?

Many insurers, including Zego, offer combined delivery insurance policies, which include all the cover you need for your food delivery work and your personal use of your vehicle. At Zego, we offer 30-day and annual combined delivery insurance policies for scooter riders and car drivers.

Alternatively, if you’re just getting started with food delivery work, or if you’re working part-time, you may be better suited to our flexible delivery insurance policies. With this option, you pay an hourly rate for your delivery insurance when you’re working with any of Zego’s partnered work providers. You still need to have SD&P cover in place, but you only pay for your delivery insurance when you’re actually working.

How do you get started with a quote?

At Zego, we’ve designed a way for you to get started with your quote quickly and easily. Download the Zego Delivery app and get a quote – it only takes a minute.

If you like your estimated quote, you can continue to get a full quote. If you’re interested in our flexible delivery insurance, you can use the Zego app. If you’d like to get a quote for a combined delivery insurance policy, simply give our team a call.

For more information, you can visit the car delivery insurance or scooter delivery insurance pages of our website. If you have any questions, please let us know and we’ll be happy to help.

Related Posts

How much will food delivery insurance cost?

How to get a fast food insurance certificate?

What is food delivery insurance?